Dogs need constant interaction, affection & love. However, you can and will be tired every once in a while, and you have to have toys or measures that can keep your dog occupied during those times. This is where interactive dog toys come into play. This category of dog toys is very broad and the toys themselves are very different. However, their goal is the same and it’s super simple – to keep the dog busy and to stimulate their mind and bodies. Separating mediocre interactive dog toys from the top ones can be a challenge. Thus, we have comprised a list of the 10 best toys for dogs which are interactive. So, whether you live with a puppy or have a bunch of large breeds, here are the 10 best interactive toys for dogs you can find on Amazon in 2021.
The list is in no particular order.
The Top 10 List of the best interactive dog toys of 2021
- OurPets IQ Treat Ball
- ZippyPaws – Zoo Friends
- Trixie Mad Scientist Poker Box
- Wickedbone Smart Bone
- Trixie Mad Scientist Turn Around
- iFetch Interactive Ball Launcher
- PAW5: Wooly Snuffle Feeding Mat
- KONG – Classic Dog Toy
- Chuckit Ultra Ball Launcher
- Nina Ottosson Interactive Puzzles
Reviews (pros & cons) of the Top 10 interactive dog toys
- OurPets IQ Treat Ball – let the dog show their smarts & earn a reward
This toy is unique but still very popular. The precise description says that this is a ball-shaped slow-feeder which dispenses food for the dog. Marketing material and comments suggest that the OurPets IQ Treat Ball is best-suited for lazy or passive dogs. It will keep them active and busy. The ball is fun for any puppy and an adult dog too.
- Promotes physical activity
- Very engaging and interactive
- You can adjust difficulty
- Manages controlled and healthy feeding
- Not too cheap
- Some dogs don’t show too much interest in it
- ZippyPaws Zoo Friends – a fun interactive hide and seek puzzle for all puppies
Hide and seek toys are awesome for playful and active doggies. The ZippyPaws Zoo Friends is an excellent choice for both puppies up to medium-sized dogs. The interactive game will occupy your dog and bring them lots of fun.
- Lots of different and exciting designs
- Fun, engaging and truly interactive
- Easy to carry around
- Not great for big dogs
- Won’t occupy them for super long periods of time
- Trixie Mad Scientist Poker Box – tricky and challenging puzzle that’s for smart dogs
The Trixie Poker Box is actually not just one interactive toy (puzzle) but four. The Poker Box consists of four individual boxes that are all operated differently and designed to keep the dog busy for a while. Some drawers require pulling, others might need something more to be done to be opened. What’s the point? Well, rewards and treats, of course. However, don’t underestimate the complexity of this toy. It’s oriented towards smart and intelligent doggies only.
- Very engaging and interactive
- Actually 4 different puzzles
- Adjustable difficulty
- Quite expensive
- Can be difficult and frustrate the pup at first
- Wickedbone Smart Bone – the best smart & electronic dog toy
From afar, the Wickedbone Smart Bone looks like something from the future. It’s actually one of few toys that can live up to the appearance and offer tremendous variety and versatility for all sorts of toys. The Wickedbone Smart Bone has an app which lets you control and monitor almost everything. The bone is actually a driveable battery-operated toy that can move autonomously or by following your control commands. You can engage auto-play or manually drive the bone to play with your dog. It’s smart and very interesting to use for both you and your pet.
- Long battery-life
- Made from durable materials
- Lots of variety and diversity
- Could take time for your dog to get used to it
- Trixie Mad Scientist Turn Around – make your pet a scientist
The second entry from Trixie’s Mad Scientist product line, the Turn Around is a unique and very entertaining toy which is suitable for both small dogs and for large dogs alike. The toy is actually a food dispenser that the dog can easily interact with. You can place it in both indoor and outdoor locations.
- Stimulates the brain
- Very interactive
- Food dispenser/toy
- Non-slip and very convenient
- Takes up a reasonable amount of space
- Can be distracting
- iFetch Interactive Ball Launcher – an interactive replacement for physical activity
Everyone plays “Catch” or “Fetch” with their dog. It’s fun, engaging and very interactive for both the person and the pup. However, the dog does want your attention and interaction at times where you just can’t provide it. Here’s the place where iFetch comes into play. All your dogs need to do is to drop the ball in the pit and watch it shoot out. Then they go fetch and repeat. This is a good choice for toddlers and Adult dogs alike. Let them play until they can’t run no more.
- Very interactive and engaging
- Nice design
- Dependable and durable
- Comes in 2 different sizes
- Supervision during play is heavily recommended
- PAW5: Wooly Snuffle Feeding Mat – please those hunter instincts
The PAW5 Snuffle Feeding Mat is an excellent choice for a pet that lives inside the city but craves more time in nature. It is interactive and engaging for both calm dogs and aggressive chewers as well. The goal of this mat is to make the dog use their smell and other senses in order to find food that you hide. It has a distinct scent that covers the smell of the food.
- Very engaging
- Play is rewarding
- Suitable for all-sized dogs
- Made from sustainable materials
- Not too cheap (not super-expensive though)
- Stubborn dogs could refuse to play
- KONG – Classic Rubber Chew Toy – a best-seller on Amazon
This is a classic toy that has been sold thousands of times. It is wobbly which is interactive on its own. But the KONG toy also acts as a food dispenser. It’s very durable and made from food-grade polymer for maximum safety.
- Entertaining & interactive
- Not too unique
- Might not be the most fun toy you can buy
- Chuckit Ultra Ball Launcher – more fun ways to play Fetch
This toy isn’t just for the dog. It’s for you as well. Playing Fetch is fun and all but it can be even more engaging and interactive if you use the Ultra Ball Launcher. When you use it, you will be able to throw balls 2-3 times farther than by throwing from your hand. Sounds fun, right?
- Practical and easy to use
- There are numerous variations of this toy
- No slobber and hands-free play are possible
- More engaging play guaranteed
- Not the most durable toy
- Isn’t a toy per se – rather a tool/device
- Nina Ottosson Interactive Puzzle – one of the most advanced and cool interactive dog toys around
Nina Ottosson is a brand that’s famous for making treat mazes. A treat maze is a type of interactive dog toys that require different and smart problem-solving skills in order to reveal new treats to chew. This toy is very unique and fun but it is also quite difficult to solve.
- Unique design
- Interactivity of the highest level
- Great for dogs that are intelligent
- There are 4 different difficulty levels
- Can be too challenging for less intelligent breeds
- Isn’t the most physically challenging toy
Why are interactive toys important & beneficial for the dog?
Interactive dog toys are designed to fill the void that appears once the pup becomes bored. If they’re bored for too long, there could be negative effects to their mental health and physical health too. This is why interactive toys are a must-have. They ensure that the pup stays active and stimulated, even when you aren’t able to do so yourselves.
The simplest and most popular interactive toy is just a plush or a squeaky ball. Throw it around for fetch or catch and make an interactive play session. However, there are a lot more options out there. You can find very durable, engaging, mind-stimulating and all sorts of other toys for heavy chewers, very active or intelligent dogs.
Few final words
As you can see, there are a lot of different interactive toys for your pet dog out there. We listed only the 10 best for 2021, but there are actually quite more of them available. We strongly recommend looking at these toys and purchasing whichever one or two that you like the most. It will be exciting and beneficial for the pooch!
Leave a Comment