Low-fat dog food is essential for all dogs who have gained weight and for older dogs of all breeds. Gaining weight, unnecessary and unhealthy weight, becomes a more realistic possibility in the more mature years of the pup but nonetheless, low-fat food is a great solution for all pooches that just need to cut a few kilos or pounds. From the other hand, it’s a healthier alternative to most convenience store dog food brands, regular canned food and some of your own snacks that you tend to share with your best friend. So, if you want to help them avoid an increased risk of health issues, opt for healthy low or very low-fat dog food. And to help you find the best product around, here are a list of 8 best low-fat dog foods of 2021 and their reviews.
The 8 best low-fat dog food products of 2021
- Nutro Wholesome Essentials (For toy, small breeds and seniors)
- Hill’s Science Diet – Wet food “Perfect Weight”
- Rachael Ray Nutrish Premium Dry Dog Food
- Visionary Keto Pet foods – KETO LOW CARB FOOD
- IAMS Large Breed
- Purina Pro Plan Adult Complete Essentials
- Cloud Star Tricky Trainers
- Wellness Complete Health Large Breed
Reviews of TOP 8 of our top-rated and the best low-fat dog food products
- Nutro Wholesome Essentials – high on protein, high in the rating
From every angle, the Nutro Wholesome Essentials dog food is great. Chicken is the #1 ingredient, it has no GMO’s and it’s also rich in fibers. The only noticeable downside is that there isn’t a purpose-developed mix for larger dogs.
- Super tasty for almost all pups
- A balanced, high-quality mix of ingredients
- Almost all reviews on Amazon from 2019 and 2021 say it’s the best low-fat dog food on the market
- Rich in natural fibers
- Lots of omega acids
- Not grain free
- Hill’s Science Diet Wet Food “Perfect Weight” – the best wet, canned low-fat dog food
A lot of reviews feature the exact same product, only in dry form. However, we’ve decided to feature the wet dog food because it’s just as healthy and contains a lot fewer calories than regular foods. This is an excellent choice for sensitive stomachs or for adult dogs who have digestive troubles.
- Chicken and barley are top ingredients
- Lots of vitamins and antioxidants
- Great for joint health
- Comes in two different taste formulas
- Wet dog food isn’t always the best choice
- Rachael Ray Nutrish Premium Dry – a great mix, almost entirely without chicken
If what you’re looking for is quite specific and you want a decent mixture or nutritious ingredients but low-fat and with not a lot of or no chicken at all, you can opt for Rachel Ray Nutrish Premium food. Farm-raised turkey is #1 ingredient and the overall formula is one of the best for basing a healthy low-fat diet on.
- With wholegrains and lots of fibres
- No artificial flavours or preservatives
- Probiotics boost digestion
- Formula isn’t unique, falls behind competitors which are entirely hypoallergenic
- Visionary Keto Pet foods – not low-fat per se but a great mix for weight management
Unfortunately, this can only be called a low-carb food. It isn’t low-fat, so it doesn’t exactly fit pooches that struggle with pancreatitis or those with colitis. But, since it is low on carbs, we can definitely call the Visionary Keto Pet foods product as what is one of the best weight management foods on the market.
- For ketogenic diet
- Excellent for weight management
- Costs a lot and isn’t entirely low-fat
- IAMS Large Breed – one of the top-rated low-fat dog foods for bigger puppies
However, it isn’t exactly suitable for smaller ones. You can choose the IAMS Healthy Weight alternative with real chicken for chihuahuas or other smaller dogs. However, the latter product is rather aimed at weight management while this one is at the top of the range on low-fat foods.
- #1 ingredient is chicken
- Glucosamine & chondroitin for healthy bones and joints
- Should be excellent for weight loss
- Corn is an important ingredient
- Isn’t great for small breeds
- Purina Pro Plan Adult Complete Essentials – great for adults and for seniors
As dogs get older, they can definitely become more picky eaters. However, when it comes to dry food, a lot of dogs have very similar preferences and likes. The Purina Pro hits the bullseye and delivers a wholesome low-fat formula with probiotics and real chicken. It isn’t low-protein and the only concern is that the ingredients are hard to balance with a diet. There’s also the cost which is quite high.
- Real chicken – main ingredient
- Very well-known brand
- Great reviews on Amazon
- Hard to balance with a diet
- Not hypoallergenic
- Cloud Star Tricky Trainers – great for adults and for seniors
The Cloud Star Tricky Trainers is an exciting and most importantly, healthy way to reward your pet. You can pick liver, salmon or cheddar flavours.
- Great small treat after tasks or grooming
- Corn free
- Cannot be give to dogs with liver or stomach illness
- Only a treat, not a full non-fat meal
- Wellness Complete Health Large Breed – energy and vitality thanks to what is one of the best dry foods for large breeds
Taurine, chicken, salmon and rice will provide the necessary energy boost for your family friend. Omega fatty acids, vitamins are present, meat by-products are not.
- Provides full-body nutrition
- Dry but quite versatile formula
- Shouldn’t be given often to pups with stomach or GI illness
- You can find more delicious formulas
Some additional tips on keeping your pet dog happy & healthy
Besides having and maintaining a proper diet, there are a lot of other things that you can do to make and keep your dog not only healthy, but also mentally happy. Low-fat or non-fat food is just the first step that you can take towards reaching the best possible physical and/or psychological level of wellbeing for your family friend. Without further ado, here are a few useful tips that you can use to improve health & happiness of your puppy.
- Don’t control every single thing they do. Every dog needs a little bit of freedom. You should allow them to express their wishes, desires and needs as much as possible. Let them know that if they want something, they can do it and ask for it, considering it is within your limits of understanding. Give them a personal space where they can be and stay happy.
- Oral hygiene. Cleaning the teeth and oral health is important because it helps deny and prevent periodontal disease, rot and holes. Since teeth are probably the most important tool for a dog, make sure you care for them.
- Socialise with other dogs. Your dog cannot get too anxious and nervous amongst other dogs. Let he or she get accustomed to being around other pets. Dog to people interactions are crucial as well. This helps them exercise as well.
- Connect with them and give them physical signals. Starting with petting, ending with nice words and sleeping together, your dog wants physical closeness from you. Give it to them.
- Groom. Including the vet, make sure your dog’s hair is taken care of, their nails are trimmed and/or grinded, tested for fleas, ticks, etc. Keep tabs on their health and hygiene as much as possible. This is especially important for puppies and for senior dogs, because they’re most susceptible at these ages.
- Select proper foods. As mentioned in our review, good, high-quality food can prevent various illness like gastrointestinal inflammation, diarrhoea, etc. Furthermore, proper food helps maintain good health and prolongs the life of your pet. Don’t go the wrong route. Going vegetarian might not be what is the best for your dog. He or she needs meat…
- Exercise – of course. To not waste their energy, exercise the muscles and strengthen your connection.
Concluding thoughts & verdict
So, as we’ve listed, the Nutro Wholesome Essentials seems to be the best low-fat dog food of 2021. This ultra-versatile dry dog food product is great for pups of all ages. Choose it if you’re looking for the best in this category. Don’t forget to combine low-fat food with exercise and other dog care tips to have a happy and healthy pup by your side!