You probably have heard of the term fibre/fiber or high-fiber/high-fibre tossed around here and there. If you don’t know, fibres are microelements found in plant-based food products such as vegetables and fruits, naturally. However, nuts, grains and beans are also very high-fibre foods. Fibers are also sometimes called roughage. Why are they important? Well, mainly because they aren’t broken down into other particles during their journey through the human, and also dog’s body. If your pet (and also, you) don’t consume enough fibres, you could have issues with digestion, cholesterol, bowel movements, etc. This is why we recommend high fiber dog food for all dog parents around the world. Both for small breeds, for puppies as well as for large breeds we definitely recommend choosing healthy, high quality, high-fiber dog food. And here are the 10 best of these from 2021.
The 10 best High-Fibre Dog Foods of 2021
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe
- Wellness Complete Health
- Nutro Wholesome Essentials
- Fromm Family Gold Coast
- Purina Pro Plan Focus
- Canidae PURE
- Purina ONE SmartBlend
- Cloud Star Dynamo Dog
- Wholesome Pride
Reviews of TOP 10 best High-Fibre dog foods
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe – for sensitive stomachs and for every dog
Overall, this particular mix of deboned chicken, chicken meal, tapioca starch and pea protein, is a great choice for every dog. The product is grain-free and protein comes in bunches. The composition is also free from artificial preservatives which have a negative effect on the GI in the long run. So do mixes with grain, which this one hasn’t.
- Rich in protein
- No artificial preservatives
- Has essential carbohydrates
- Good for pups with sensitive stomachs
- Lacks probiotics
- Wellness Complete Health – dog food with high fiber, excellent for puppies
The Wellness Complete Health is primarily advertised as dry puppy food. And this product is probably what is the best high-fiber dog food just for small dogs. It offers a balanced and harmonious nutritional package made from tons of vastly beneficial ingredients, the five main ones being deboned chicken, chicken meal, oatmeal, ground barley and peas.
- Great for growing puppies
- Decent for sensitive stomachs and for diarrhoea
- No meat by-products
- DHA from salmon oil
- Does have gluten
- Nutro Wholesome Essentials – lamb or chicken-flavoured healthy small bite goodies
Deboned lamb, chicken meal, brewers rice, whole brown riche and whole grain sorghum are the five main ingredients of this one. Amongst dry dog food with high fiber, this particular product seems to have one of the best reviews on Amazon. Thanks to the amazing blend of flavours and the health benefits of the ingredients, the Nutro Wholesome Essentials is an amazing choice for smaller breeds or for pups that fancy smaller bites.
- Small bites, no need to break up
- Reasonable price
- Great reviews from 2019 and 2020
- No corn, wheat or soy
- Not the most sensitive mix for dogs with weak digestive systems
- Fromm Family Gold Coast – rich in protein, great for weight management
The main feature of Fromm Family Gold Coast is a great ingredient balance for weight management. This means that this high-fiber dog food provides the necessary balance for pooches with excess weight.
- Main ingredient is fish
- Helps reduce calorie intake
- Still rich in nutrients
- Suitable for adult or older dogs
- Very expensive and a lot of ingredients that requires more studying
- Purina Pro Plan Focus – high-quality wet dog food
It is a lot more common to see dry foods advertised a bit more. However, in the world of wet dog food with high fiber, the Purina Pro Plan Focus stands out as the best. Besides processing-sufficient water, the main ingredients are salmon, rice, fish and potato protein. Even though it has corn oil, this particular product should be easily digestible.
- Soy and wheat-free
- Decent amount of protein
- Digestible carbs
- Not corn free
- Canidae PURE –low fat, high fiber dog food without any unnecessary additive
The Candiae PURE is an amazing choice for almost all dogs. Thanks to a well-balanced formula of only 10 different ingredients, your best friend should enjoy the flavour. On the other side vitamins, minerals, antioxidants should give them strength and health.
- Doesn’t contain any artificial preservatives
- A simple recipe that works
- Not great for dogs with allergies
- Purina ONE SmartBlend – variety of options
The Purina ONE SmartBlend product line can come in wet and dry shapes. However, for this review, we’ve decided to highlight the wet SmartBlend with no poultry by-products and a lot of vitamins. However, the formula could be upgraded and refined further down the road as it falls behind the entries higher on the list.
- Can be combined with the 28-day challenge from Purina
- Tons of flavour options
- Dogs love the flavour
- Not completely grain free & some controversial ingredients
- Cloud Star Dynamo Dog – arguably the best soft chews for the joints and the skin
When you look at the pricey treats that are the Cloud Star Dynamo Dog and their reviews, you should hesitate to pick it as one of the best high-fibre dog foods and dog food brands of 2021. However, the taste is very hit or miss and the formula doesn’t seem to work with for all large breeds and small pups also.
- Good for the digestive system
- Unusual flavour, not all dogs appreciate
- Has quite a lot of sugar
- Fruitables – a healthy treat for all pets at home
If your dog is struggling with some GI issues, has started to gain weight, the Fruitables are a great treat. They’re healthy, high-quality and high-fiber low-carb delicious treats that work excellently with dogs of all ages. However, the taste formula is quite strange and it isn’t carefully refined to suit puppies with more severe digestion trouble.
- No wheat, corn or artificial colours
- Low-calorie treat
- Maybe too crunchy and can crumble
- For some reason, the larger package is cheaper on Amazon
- Wholesome Pride – takes persuasion to make these likeable
Even though the formula seems OK and they’re made from sweet potatoes, the Wholesome Pride bites are only decent as a reward treat. It takes too much work with a significant percentage of dogs to make them like it. Besides, they’re quite high on calories as well.
- Quite a lot of calories
- Not great for large breeds
Things to know about fibres in food
When we talk about fibres in food, you need to know why are they important. Why fibre response is crucial to the wellbeing of a dog and why dogs with pancreatitis or other digestive tract illness should definitely avoid as much food with low fibre, as possible.
Fibres aid digestive processes. Since they are fermented into none other than fatty acids, they are extremely helpful in the case of inflammation and reducing serious digestive problems.
High-fibre foods are important for both small and large breed dogs because it helps prevent or suppress diabetes. Furthermore, we can find tons of studies and links that prove high-fibre foods are not just good, but great at weight management. If your family friend is of a breed that can easily get overweight, you should definitely mix in a lot more fibrous grain-free food. This is true for small dogs and large pooches too. Size is irrelevant, actually, apart from the quantity of fibres needed.
As a conclusion, we would like to say that amongst the best high-fiber dog foods of 2021, the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain stands out head and shoulders above the rest. We think that its unique and wholesome formula offers the most benefits to pups of all ages, sizes and breeds. However, you must look at the vast array of products in this category if your dog has some serious digestive tract illness. Consult with a vet and opt for a more balanced, better-suited diet from now on. High-fibre food is always the right way to go!