Dogs need and seek comfort too. Not just older dogs, but young pups should be able to rest, sleep and/or nap in a comfortable spot. This is why the demand for comfortable dog beds is high. However, just having any soft bed won’t cut it as pooches’ joints, bones and muscles can use all the extra help that they can get. This is where orthopedic dog beds come into play. They can help and are the best in terms of comfort and health benefits. Whether you live with a Golden Retriever, have a few Great Danes or small dogs like Chihuahuas or a Yorkie, opting for orthopedic dog beds is a smart move to make. Your pet will thank you. So, to make selection that much easier, here are the 9 best orthopedic dog beds on the market in 2021.
The 9 best orthopedic dog beds in 2021, a complete list
- BarksBar Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Friends Forever Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Milliard Premium
- JOYELF Orthopedic
- The Dog’s Bed
- Go Pet Club
- Laifug Orthopedic
- Sealy Lux Quad Layer
Reviews of TOP 9 orthopedic dog beds
- BarksBar Orthopedic Dog Bed – best in terms of overall quality
Filled with memory foam, the BarksBar Orthopedic Dog Bed is super comfy for both small and large dogs. There’s a padded rim that’s filled with cotton which makes the bed look more like a den. The price is great too.
- Memory foam inside
- Three different sizes make it suitable for small and extra-large dogs
- Material and build quality
- Easy to wash and care fore
- Non-slip rubber on the bottom
- Size guide can be misleading
- Friends Forever – a comfy choice with top qualities
The Friends Forever is an orthopedic dog bed with bolsters. They offer amazing support on the side and the lining is waterproof, making it all the more convenient for any pet. The Friends Forever orthopedic bed is with memory foam inside, so you won’t doubt its comfort levels.
- Human-grade memory foam inside
- Quality bolsters
- Sizes for giant dogs
- Water resistance
- Quite high cost
- Barkbox – relieves pressure, an excellent inexpensive orthopedic dog bed
BarkBox comes in five different sizes, ranging from small, al the way to XX-Large. It’s filled with memory foam and gel memory foam for a cooling effect. Taking in account value for money, this is one of the best choices on sale today.
- Easy-to-wash cover
- Lining is waterproof
- Cooling gel layer
- Could lack thickness for largest of the large breeds.
- Milliard Premium – the best one on Amazon when it comes to waterproofing
This is a dog bed that is genuinely and not only partly waterproof. The cover that you get with this bed is also antibacterial which is great news for people with active, out-going puppies. The mattress itself isn’t cheap but it definitely falls a tad short when you compare with the top of the range products.
- Genuinely waterproof
- Non-slip underside
- Anti-bacterial cover
- The cover is prone to moulding
- JOYELF Orthopedic – reasonably priced, for all sizes
The JOYELF Orthopedic dog bed has very good reviews on Amazon. Owners are generally satisfied with the comfort that it offers, comfy, foamy bolsters and a squeaky toy as a gift.
- Above average quality
- Fairly reasonably priced
- Soft bolsters and headrest
- Very good reviews
- Does have a tendency to absorb odours
- The Dog’s Bed – premium-grade orthopedic dog bed that offers excellent support for large breeds
The name is pretty self-explanatory. The Dog’s Bed is a premium choice that can come as vet recommended product of choice. It offers great support for senior dogs and is great for pups that have joint or bone issues, thus is excellent for hip dysplasia and similar conditions.
- Great memory foam inside
- Wonderful for seniors
- Machine washable and easy to care for
- Resistant to mould and mildew
- Larger (XL and XXL) sizes are quite expensive yet narrow for big dogs
- Not exactly waterproof
- Go Pet Club – an affordable orthopedic dog bed with very little downside
Finding a high-quality orthopedic bed for a dog that is reasonably priced, is always an awesome experience. The Go Pet Club Memory Foam dog bed is just that. The microfiber cover will feel nice and soft for the pup while the bed itself is one of the best in terms of pet comfort. It is chewy though…
- Real memory foam inside
- Enough sizes to accommodate a large pet
- Four different colours
- Chewers will bite of chunks from the side
- The stitching quality is average, at best, especially on the corners
- Laifug Orthopedic – water resistant & orthopedic
While not the cheapest option, the Laifug Orthopedic has a comfy, soft headrest/bolster. It should be able to easily accommodate medium and larger dog breeds, so it’s good for an English bulldog, for Labradors, for a German shepherd or for whoever else.
- With a headrest/bolster
- Plush and soft in the middle
- Water & tear resistant
- Not the cheapest option
- Only one size
- Sealy Lux Quad Layer – costly but worth it
Even though it bears quite a large price tag, the Sealy Lux Quad layer orthopedic dog bed has a layer of cooling gel and offers great support for your pet.
- Doesn’t absorb odours
- Cooling layer
- On the pricey side
- Requires more delicate care
What things to look at when you’re buying orthopedic dog beds?
If you’re looking to buy an orthopedic dog bed and want to give your pup the comfort he or she deserves, here are the things you need to focus on.
- Size – choose a bed of appropriate size. The most important thing to keep in mind is that the marketing material and product specs sometime differ from the real-world size as they list not the exact sleeping area size, but the whole bed rather (bolsters, edges, etc.).
- Thickness and softness – thicker is usually (but not always) better. It’s crucial that the bed is softer for older dogs or for pets with joint or bone issues.
- Bolsters and headrests – not all dogs love headrests but if yours’ do, make sure they get a bed with one.
- Sofa, den or plain mattress – there are different types of dog beds. Sofas are generally orthopedic beds with a headrest or a bolster at one end. Plain mattresses are just that and dens are mattresses with bolsters from all sides.
- Maintenance – is it easy to wash? Durable? Will it soak up smells?
In the end, we think that BarksBar Orthopedic Dog Bed & Friends Forever are the two best orthopedic beds for dogs in 2021. They combine the best qualities in terms of reasonable pricing, comfort, design solutions, ease of maintenance, thickness and health benefits when laying or sleeping in them.