Senior dogs are much more susceptible to problems of the digestive tract. They might also be having some conditions that cause pain or discomfort on a daily basis and can only be remedied by choosing the right set of food. This is why we devised this list of the best senior dog foods for 2021. Let’s take a look at what products are the best for dogs of age or those with arthritis, cognitive dysfunction, sensitive stomach, skin allergies or other conditions. Here’s a list of the TOP 10 best senior dog foods that have beneficial properties for the health of your pooch!
The Top 10 List
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula
- Diamond Naturals Skin & Coat
- CANDIAE PURE SENIOR
- Nutro ULTRA
- IAMS MINICHUNKS
- Hill’s SCIENCE DIET
- PURINA ONE SmartBlend
- Taste of the Wild
- Rachel RAY NUTRISH
- Nature’s Recipe ORIGINAL
Reviews of TOP 10 Senior Dog Foods
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula – quite possibly the best senior dog food product
This particular food is made from real deboned chicken. It’s rich in vitamins, antioxidants and vital minerals. In short, the composition is very good and as a senior dog food or as an organic meal, the Blue Buffalo Life Protection formula firmly stands at the top of the top 10 list.
- Great reviews
- Reputable brand
- Rich in almost every essential element
- Taste – loved by almost all dogs
- You can transition your dog to Blue brand food-only, in 2 weeks
- Costs slightly more than competitors
- Diamond Naturals Skin & Coat – perfect blend for a chihuahua, for dachshunds or almost all small breeds
Even though it’s probably a slightly better formula for smaller breeds, this formula also works well for larger family friends, too. This particular product tastes like almon and fish meal. Thanks to high quality protein, your pup will feel better and stronger after a quick snack or bigger meal.
- Great pricing on Amazon
- No artificial flavours, colours, etc.
- Made in the USA
- Great for dogs with digestive issues
- On rare occasions, few dogs seem to be put off by the taste
- CANDIAE PURE SENIOR – grain free, high on benefits
The primary ingredients are the classic mix of chicken and chicken meal. Rich in protein and carbs, this particular meal is one of the safest and overall best senior dog foods of 2018, 2019 and 2020 as well.
- Overwhelmingly positive reviews
- Dogs seem to love the taste
- Unique recipe
- Soy, corn and wheat free
- Awesome for pups with food allergies
- Rarely some dogs just don’t like the taste
- Nutro ULTRA – superfood plate for a large breed
Made from chicken, lamb and salmon-chicken, the Nutro ULTRA has a high chance of becoming your pets’ new favourite.
- Great overall mineral and nutrient balance
- No artificial colours, flavours
- Tons of protein
- Vet recommended
- Some dogs are put off by salmon
- IAMS MINICHUNKS – an affordable choice with good reviews
Thie IAMS MINICHUNKS is a decent choice for senior dogs with mild or not too apparent health issues. If you want your dog to continue living a happy and healthy life, you can definitely feed them IAMS MINICHUNKS.
- Vet recommended
- Rich in nutrients & antioxidants
- Specially tailored blend for a healthy digestive tract
- Isn’t the most senior-oriented product
- Not grain free
- Hill’s SCIENCE DIET – for Labradors, a Golden Retriever or other large breeds
This mix supports offers tons of energy which is essential for a large, mature or senior pup. Vitamin E, Omega acids and joint health-supporting enzymes are just a few of the beneficial ingredients.
- Awesome for heart health
- Lots of glucosamine and chondroitin for joints
- Supports lots of areas in the organism
- Made responsibly
- Quite costly
- Could take your dog a while to get used to it
- PURINA ONE SmartBlend – beef & rice formula for a healthy senior
PURINA is one of the best-known brands in the industry. And the SmartBlend small bites are amongst best senior dog foods with an option that has no chicken.
- Highly popular brand
- Beef & Rice small bites or Chicken & rice formula
- Many different bag size options
- Tender meat morsels
- Sometimes the bags have very little chicken morsels in them
- Taste of the Wild – nothing wild about it
This is a unique formula from roasted bison & venison. You can choose a grain-free option or a meal with ancient grains.
- Unique formula
- High quality meat inside
- Made in the USA
- Not that much protein, actually
- Rachel RAY NUTRISH – superfood plate for a large breed
This particular product is great for dogs of all sizes. Chicken-taste meal has an abundance of wholesome whole grains, natural fibres and vitamins.
- Decent price
- Great for dogs with bad teeth
- One of the top-rated choices on Amazon
- Definitely nothing super premium about this product (opposite to the packaging claims)
- Other options do more for your pup’s health
- Nature’s Recipe ORIGINAL – tastes good, makes the dog feel good
Choose it if you want to boost your pup’s digestive system or help them deal with mild issues, related to the weakening of muscles and/or bones.
- Meat is the #1 ingredient
- No soy or artificial flavours
- Not the cleanest formula
- Crafty and unique formula may seem meh for picky dogs
When are dogs called seniors?
It’s important to distinguish when do we and should we call a dog a senior. This is important because when they transition to their older days, they do need more care and attention as their health could deteriorate and/or require a change in diet and leisure.
First and foremost – large dogs age much quicker than small pooches. In general, not taking into account specifics of some breeds, dogs that are older than 8 years are always considered seniors. However, this age threshold for labs, for rottweilers or other large dogs is lower – 5 to 6 years.
Why should I look at senior dog foods?
Feeding your dog, the same old mix day in and day out isn’t an option. You wouldn’t want to eat the same thing every day because it strips you from the ability to feel the best that you can. Your dog also needs variety to get as many various nutrients and minerals/vitamins as possible. That’s one thing.
Secondly, with age, your dog becomes more sensitive for weight gain, disease, illness or other conditions. This is why you need to give them nutritional elements that their bodies just aren’t able to produce. For example, if your pup has troubled joints, look for senior foods that are great for arthritis, for hips, joints, etc.
Even though they tend to cost a bit more than regular dog food, they allow your pet to live a fuller and longer life.
Should my dog be eating homemade or packaged meals?
There are two, debating POV’s on this topic. Some people advocate that you shouldn’t feed your dog with packaged meals and you should cook for them. Others claim the opposite and say that packaged meals are alright. Which one of them is true?
We believe that (and most vets agree) that the truth is somewhere in the middle. You might not be able to cook good food for your dog’s allergies, make something for kidney disease or something specific. However, just feeding them with low-quality mix could have devastating effects on their digestive systems later on. We recommend basing the diet on a suitable blend of packaged food and throwing in a home cooked meal every once in a while.
As a conclusion, we would like to say that if you’re looking for the good senior dog food of 2021, we definitely recommend Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula. On paper and in the real world, this product seems like the best senior dog food of 2021. It has all the right ingredients to supplement a senior pet and will bring more happy smiles to your home – that’s for sure!